Wednesday, December 22, 2010

ASK YOURSELF WHY, NOT HOW?

COMMUNICATION AND MOTIVATION

The power of words are often used as a source of motivation.  Motivational speakers, coaches, leaders, and mentors, all use the art of communication to motivate others.  Words spoken at the right time...by the right person...have the ability to inspire others in a meaningful way!

However, we cannot always rely on others to motivate us.  We need to be able to use communication to motivate our self.  One of the best ways to accomplish this is to ask yourself "WHY" instead of "HOW"!  For example, the answer to the question "HOW" decreases motivation, whereas the answer to the question "WHY" increases motivation.

Let's say you want to lose 15 pounds!  If you ask yourself, "HOW am I going to lose 15 pounds?" you may feel overwhelmed or stressed out about the pressure of reaching your goal.  Asking yourself "HOW" makes you focus on all the obstacles...i.e. how can I fit my workouts into my schedule, how can I eat health, how am I going to make time, etc...Focusing on the obstacles of HOW becomes decreasingly less motivating!

Instead of asking yourself how, try asking yourself, "WHY"!  When you ask yourself WHY, your answers become very motivational.  WHY do I want to lose 15 pounds will lead to answers such as...I will be healthier, I will feel better, I will have more self-confidence, etc...Focusing on the benefits of WHY becomes increasingly more motivating!

For more information regarding this concept I recommend the following two books:


     

No comments:

Post a Comment